Expression lines reflect our everyday emotions and expressions. Every day, we contract the 43 different facial muscles when we smile, look surprised, feel angry, express interest, and so on. Gradually, over the years, our face becomes a true reflection of our soul.
What are expression lines?
Expression lines (or dynamic wrinkles) appear due to repeated contraction of the facial muscles. They typically develop over time as our skin produces less collagen and elastin. We tend to notice these changes around 25 years of age, particularly forehead wrinkles, frown linesentrecejo and crow's feet.
Why do we get expression lines?
While the appearance of wrinkles is primarily due to how expressive we are with our faces, there are certainly other contributing factors that can bring about expression lines earlier or later in life:
- Genetics: our genetic makeup heavily influences our levels of hydration, collagen and elastin, all of which are key factors in the appearance of wrinkles.
- Stress: when we become stressed or tense, our hormones are thrown off balance, and our body produces increased levels of cortisol, causing the elastin and collagen in our skin to break down and cellular regeneration to slow down.
- Diet: a diet lacking in vitamins and minerals coupled with a high intake of fats and sugars also has a harmful effect on the body and speeds up the ageing process. Sun exposure is enemy number one for the skin as it damages cells, accelerating the breakdown of collagen and elastin.
- Sun exposure: is enemy number one for the skin as it damages cells, accelerating the breakdown of collagen and elastin.
How to prevent expression lines
The best way to prevent the appearance of wrinkles is to apply a high-factor (SPF 50+) and broad spectrum (UVB-UVA) sunscreen all year round. Do you already do this? Perfect! Remember that you must reapply sunscreen several times a day for maximum effectiveness.
Secondly, it is essential to moisturise your skin daily. Using a cream or concentrate containing the active ingredient hyaluronic acid, helps preserve the water in the skin's top layer (stratum corneum). The range of moisturising solutions has something for all skin types: find the perfect moisturiser!
How to get rid of expression lines
While there is a vast array of beauty products that can be used at home to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, it is crucial to find the most suitable and effective product for your skin type and specific area to be treated:
- The age element® brightening solutions range is excellent for preventing wrinkles due to its hydrating effect and Vitamin C content. As well as brightening and revitalising the face, the products have powerful antioxidant properties that reduce the impact of external factors on the skin and prevent premature ageing.
- The creams and concentrates in the age element® anti-wrinkle solutions range are designed specifically for rough, dry and delicate skin with deep wrinkles. This range is ideal for smoothing the appearance of deep and dynamic wrinkles. The products also contain bakuchiol and other active ingredients that stimulate the regeneration of collagen and elastin.
- Retinol: is the most effective and comprehensive anti-ageing active ingredient for treating the visible signs of ageing. It is ideal for reducing uneven skin tone, helping to restore radiance and density, and reducing wrinkles and expression lines. Discover skinretin 0.3%!
Several professional and medical treatments, are also available for treating expression lines, depending on your specific needs and budget:
- Cosmetic treatments: Topical products containing specific active ingredients can be used to treat expression lines in combination with massage techniques that smooth and soften the skin. With its proven epigenetic action, the age element® professional method combats ageing at its source and helps to restore the skin's regenerative activity.
- Facial mesotherapy or microneedling: Both are popular medical aesthetic treatments for expression lines that reduce the signs of skin ageing. These techniques use multiple microinjections to insert specific active ingredients into the outermost layers of the skin. Patients are typically surprised by the immediate results and effectiveness of the procedure. Contact our professionals.
- Hyaluronic acid fillers: Facial fillers provide volume and fill wrinkles by delivering cross-linked hyaluronic acid to targeted areas of the face. They have gained popularity in recent years thanks to their instantaneous and increasingly natural results.